Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Greetings-A-Gaga

I am often irritated when upon meeting friends (and acquaintances) who I haven't seen for a long time greet me with this statement:

"Hi... Are you rich now?"


I mean, common. Let's be civilized here. I haven't seen you for a long time and you can't even ask how I am and where I have been all these years? I know that Ethics (with a capital E) is refined as Experiences (with a capital E)grow, and that common sense should prevail at all times (note that common sense is not even italicized -- it is just that it isn't common these days). But wouldn't the natural thing be when meeting long lost friends --- just being happy you've found each other?

I had this friend from med-school days who I have recently met while pushing my grocery cart (where else but SM city?) and guess what he asked me: "I heard you are rich now, is that true?"

I answered: "indi a. makasarang lang.." (roughly translated as : You bet your sweet ass, I am!)

In Ethiopia, one of my favorite places in the world, people when they meet have the traditional hug and handshake. And as a sign of respect, ask the person ten times how he is... Redundant but very endearing.

In Vanuatu, my 'family' would give me a big hug (more of a huge squeeze, really)to show their happiness in seeing me.

So going back to the weird way my friends greet me, I become defensive and often times snobbish. I hate this feeling as this develops into hate....later I would find myself locking my wandering butt in the house for fear of meeting old friends and be defensive about their paranoia of me being rich.

Maybe I should wear a t-shirt saying: I'm not rich, but I am definitely famous.

.... or maybe just the shirt which says: "Fuck off".

God! The travails of going home!

3 comments:

  1. How true my dear friend. I definitely prefer the firm handshake, any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exposure to civility is becoming less an occurrence now. The world is shrinking faster than the dispensation of courtesy lessons. Boorish behavior will unlikely change unless corrected. So next time, seriously tell your friend, "Mind your manners. It is very rude to ask that kind question to anyone. Besides, I do not like to tell everyone I met that I am actually wealthier than they think so I won't be treated with undeserved deference." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. Pabs! it would definitely take time for me to memorize that. Imagine me saying that in one breath. Sort of reminding me of the famous Sharon Cuneta-Cherie Gil scene!

    ReplyDelete